I will be discussing the benefits of Aquaponics gardening over conventional soil based gardening.
So firstly we will look at the benefits then we will go into what you need to look at before you start your Aquaponics backyard garden.
The benefits of an Aquaponics System are:
1. Due to the fact you will not be using soil there is no weeding.
2. Watering is eliminated because water is circulated automatically from the fish pond to the grow bed. Aquaponics use about 10% of the water used by conventional gardening.
3. All fertilizers are supplied by the fish waste being circulated through the grow bed.
4. Soil pests are eliminated, no soil is used in an Aquaponics grow bed.
5. Your fruit and vegetables will grow at least twice as fast as conventional gardening.
6. Energy use is a lot less, estimated 70% saving.
7. More plants in the same area, up to 10 times.
8. All fruit and vegetables are totally organic.
9. Extremely low cost of growing your plants.
10. You have fresh organic fruit and vegetables to pick as you use them
Now what do you need to take into account when you are planning your DIY Aquaponics Garden?
1. What do you want to grow? It is important you know what plants you are going to grow so you know what size grow bed you need and how many fish you need to supply the nutrients required for you plants to grow healthily.
2. Where you are going to build your garden? It is important you know how much room you have so you can build your Home Aquaponics Garden to a size that will suit and choose the right design.
3. What is your budget? Aquaponics is very scalable and can be a very small indoor garden right through to commercial systems. If you are on a small budget there is a system for you.
4. The type of system you will use? This will be determined by many factors. Budget, space, what you want to grow, the area you live in and many other factors. It is very important you research and understand which suits your needs.
Probably something you really should consider is if you will start from scratch and build your own Aquaponics Garden. There is great deal of research involved in planning your DIY Aquaponics which is very time consuming. It can also be very expensive if you get it wrong. Why reinvent the wheel when there are people out there who have already done this. They have developed Aquaponic Gardens of all types and know exactly what to look for and how to put them together. Consider getting professional plans to guide you through planning and building your aquaponics system.